Thursday, March 19, 2009

Club Race Day!

Today was the Club Race Day! I was convinced to race last night and let me tell you my heart was beating fast today! We got to the slopes around 9:30am so that we could make a couple of runs and warm up before it was our teams turn to race. I really enjoyed myself this morning and worked a lot on my technique and making smaller turns like I was going around the gates. We made about 4 runs down the mountain before the races began and I was feeling pretty good but still pretty nervous.

Gregg and I both sat out the race day last year and so this was the first time that either of us had run gates or participated in a race. Our club was the last to go today- meaning that the course was pretty skied out and there were a lot of ruts around the gates where everyone else had skied making the course a little more difficult. Gregg and I were the first to go from our club. I let Gregg get a little lead because it scared me to be right next to him and then I started down the course. I really struggled through the first 3 or 4 gates because they were close together and it was really rough and then I fell down! I got back up, determined to finish the course, and sailed right through the rest of it. I finished the course in 86.59 sec- the second lowest time of those that completed the course- but I finished!!! There were a lot of people who didn't finish the race or were disqualified so I was very proud of myself overall!!! Gregg finished in 45 seconds and did really good also! I think that our team is going to end up in 2nd place for our division- pretty good since we are the smallest club here and only had 8 team members race!



me at the bottom of the race course- I fell trying to take my ski's off!


Race times


Gregg and I's times (#264- me, #265- Gregg)



Irving Fire Department TUFF Members- Mush, Cheryl (wife), Gregg, Porter, me (wife), and Jorge

This afternoon we all skied together which was a lot of fun. We skied for another couple of hours before calling it a day and heading to "Whiskey Jack's" for some hot chocolate. Gregg and I are back at the condo now and are relaxing before going to the Farewell Banquet tonight! (I will post pictures and details on that later!)

Tomorrow is our last full day in Big Sky :( We have reservations at noon for the zip line which I am SUPER EXCITED about!!! After that we plan on skiing a little more and then tomorrow night is the Race Awards Banquet.

0 comments: