A couple of weeks ago Extreme Home Makeover was in the Dallas area (Lancaster to be exact) working on a house for a Dallas Police Officer that was shot in the line of duty. Carlton Marshall was shot in he neck in October 2007 while on a SWAT raid serving a narcotics search warrant. He was immediately treated on the scene by 2 SWAT Doctors that cut a hole in his neck allowing him to breathe and then was taken to Parkland Hospital (where I work!) for care and spent over 9 months in the hospital. He suffered severe spinal cord damage immediately, followed by hearing, a stroke and even contacted meningitis.
Gregg and I both wrote letters to Extreme Home Makeover a while back when the Irving and Dallas Police Departments were working to nominate the Marshall Family for the build. (Lt. Marshall's wife is a Irving Homicide Detective.) We were so excited when we heard that this family had been chosen and the house that they were living in would be replaced with a new and much needed home complete with a therapy area!
We went Wednesday night to go help move in furniture and decorate the house before the family came home Thursday. We went out at 8pm and were planning on staying all night long. Around 2am things were slowing down and starting to stall and so we left. (I had to lecture at 10am Thursday morning and so I wanted a little sleep!)
While we were there we got to meet a lot of the behind the scene people for the show and learn so much about Extreme Home Makeover! We helped move some furniture, arrange things for the designers to look over and even got to do a little decorating- ie: putting the toilet paper on the roles and stocking cabinets with extra candles!
The evening was lots of fun and a totally awesome thing to get to be a small part of! I heard a rumor that the show would air in September so everyone must watch then!



2 comments:
That is so awesome. I heard about that on the news.
Oh my gosh!!! That is so cool! I LOVE Extreme Home Make-over! Ohhh, can't wait to see the episode? Was the house AMAZING?
Post a Comment